About Stewart Patterson
A little about me plus how & why I am able to help you
"Stewart is a trusted, dynamic barrister with much experience, particularly in Building & Construction, Mediation & Arbitration and Contract Law"
BarristerStewart is a highly experienced, well respected barrister. Daily, he brings his weighty skills & knowledge to bear in support of all his clients. For many years he has represented both Corporate and Personal clients in court as well as being a highly qualified and successful arbitrator and mediator. With Chambers in Winchester, much of his work is in Hampshire, (Dorset and Wiltshire) but he also has Chambers in London and Swindon. He is accustomed to traveling wherever it should be necessary to carry out his work. Stewart has a dual practice. He deals with contracts of all kinds but has a special knowledge of building cases, as he holds a master’s degree in construction law. He also has a special interest in the burgeoning field of regulatory law.
Recent cases and experience
Stewart holds a master’s degree in construction law, is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an accredited Mediator. He is a member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association and the Society of Construction Law and the British Spanish Lawyer Association. He has represented home-owners, builders, sub-contractors, engineers and architects as well as companies, and trustees.
Here are just a few examples of the many cases in which Stewart has been involved.
- A house wrecked as a result of inadequate underpinning
- A school with a faulty roof design, requiring replacement
- A badly designed community hall, poorly built and unfinished which had to be demolished
- A building ruined as a result of inadequate flood protection
- Installation of faulty heavy machinery
- Misunderstanding of a building contract
- Building company going bust
- Company computer system not working
Again, a few examples:
- A yacht breaking free of its moorings and careering across the harbour, damaging other boats
- A yacht badly repaired and in danger of sinking in the English Channel
- Allegations of a poor yacht survey resulting in damage and loss of value
Stewart has a special interest in regulatory work including financial regulation. He has had training in regulatory work and is a member of the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers.
ADR – Arbitration & Mediation
Stewart is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a mediator accredited to CEDR (the Centre of Effective Dispute Resolution) and ADR Group (Alternative Dispute Resolution). He has sat as a Recorder for many years (sitting as a part-time judge in civil cases).
He not only acts as an Arbitrator, but he has also been a Mediator in a wide variety of disputes. These have included disagreements between professional partners, training contracts, supply of specialised products, disputed property, boundary disputes, as well as building contract cases.
He brings to bear a life-time of experience of cases of all sorts, and has an understanding approach to the warring parties. He is a great believer in listening to what they have to say.
His work as a writer and broadcaster equips him well to communicate with others, and to explain difficult concepts in easy terms. He adopts a flexible approach to suit the circumstances of the case.
Stewart is also a member of his Chambers Inquiry Team, and is available to conduct fact finding and other enquiries on behalf of professional organisations, local authorities and public or private companies.
Other professional activities
Stewart has taught for degrees in law and for the Bar Finals. He has also been an advocacy trainer for the Bar . Experience in broadcasting and journalism has given him an ability to communicate with a wide variety of people as well as to explain the law in understandable terms.
- R v Kidd  112 SJ 612 and TLR July 18 1968
- R v Morgan  67 Cr.App. R. 369
- R v Todd  72 Cr App R 299
- R v Varley  75 Cr App R 242
- R v Flack  Crim LR 160
- R v Robertson, R v Golder  85 Cr. App R 304
- R v Hammer  15 Cr App R (S) 886
- R v Taylor  1 Cr. App R 131
- R v Hayes  1 Cr App R 33
- R v Smith (Gordon)  EWCA Crim 3267
- R v Bree (Benjamin)  2 Cr App R 13
- R v Ricky Parratt  EWCA Crim 84
- R v Peters and others  EWCA Crim 1825
How To Contact Me
If you are facing a dispute and would like professional advice you can call me on 01962 690061 or use the contact form below. I am a highly experienced barrister and I will give you the guidance that you need straight away
Stewart Patterson Barrister