Stewart Patterson, Mediation Profile
Stewart began his professional life practising in London and appeared in a wide variety of cases. He then moved on to the Western Circuit and continued to practice from Chambers in London, Winchester and Swindon.
After a professional lifetime of dealing with clients and their difficult cases, he now brings his wide experience to bear on resolving and deciding disputes as a mediator or arbitrator. He is accustomed to dealing with both Corporate and Personal clients.
Although in recent years, much of his work is in Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire, and all stations West, as well as London, he often has to travel to other parts of the country, and is happy to do so when the occasion demands.
Stewart deals with cases of all kinds, in particular, commercial contracts and property disputes. As well as a degree in law, he has a specialist knowledge of building cases as he holds a master’s degree in construction law and arbitration. As a keen yachtsman he also has a particular knowledge of matters relating to boats.
As well as an MA in law, Stewart has an MSc in construction law and arbitration, is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Mediator accredited both to ADR Group and CEDR. For many years he has been a member of the Technology and Construction Bar Association and the Society of Construction Law and is also a member of the British Spanish Lawyers Association. He also acted as a part-time judge (Recorder) in the Crown Court and County Courts.
Here are just a few examples of the many cases in which Stewart has been involved:
- A house wrecked as a result of inadequate underpinning
- A school with a faulty roof design, requiring replacement
- A badly designed and built community hall, which had to be demolished
- A house ruined by inadequate flood protection
- Interpretation of a building contract
- Building company going bust
- Company computer system not working
- Yacht breaking free of its moorings and damaging other boats.
- Yacht badly repaired and in danger of sinking in the English Channel
- Poor yacht survey resulting in damage and loss of value
- Compensation for fishermen after an oil spill
- Money lost on the foreign exchange markets.
- Provision of hardware and software to companies
- Franchise for provision of mobile phone services
- A partnership dispute between dentists
- Installation of machinery in a factory
- Rights of a minority shareholder